Sunday, August 15, 2010

PRC Run for Humanity 2010

My performance. Today's 10k event turned out to be a difficult race for me. I was straining myself most of the way and continuously having to try to reduce my heart rate to below 150 from above 160 levels. Somehow i feel like i strain my legs more than usual and feel more tired when I consciously try to slow the pace down. My Garmin clocked the run from start to finish line at 1:24:43 for a pace of 0:8:28/km and an average heart rate of 159bpm. Because of the gun start (no timing chip here) my official time will be longer than my Garmin time. I think i should concern myself with the heart rate only during training runs and rely on perceived effort or exertion during races. Will try that on the next race.

Congratulations to PRC and the organizer (I seem to recall seeing MLB in one of the signs along the course). The event did not have the bells and whistles of the more popular races but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Support for the running participants is more than adequate, no shortage of water stations and cheerful volunteers, ambulances conspicuously posted every so many kilometers in the race course (hey this is the red cross, remember), and vehicular traffic at intersections are visibly manned and controlled by mmda and police. I particularly liked the straightaway course.

Note: After the 10k turnaround, on numerous occassions, not a few cyclists occupied the same lanes near the curb approaching the runners from the opposite direction without giving a wide berth and posing a collision risk. A compelling reason for runners to be alert and more aware of vehicular traffic.